add comments to clarify that taxtxf.scm is US-specific

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jan 26 20:33:52 EST 2017

| From: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
| To: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>
| Cc: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
| Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:34:22 -0800
| Subject: Re: add comments to clarify that taxtxf.scm is US-specific
|

| > On Jan 26, 2017, at 3:13 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
| >
| > src/report/locale-specific/us/taxtxf.scm is specific to US tax codes.
| > Add comments to make this clear.
|
| Dear Dr. Redelmeier,

I didn't say Dr. Redelmeier; D. is my first initial.  But Dr. is not incorrect.

| We don't accept patches on the mailing list. Please see
| http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development#Submitting_Patches for ways
| that you can contribute code.

OK.

The first thing I read was the mailman documentation that suggested that
patches be submitted to the gnucash-patches mailing list.  That's not
true.  Why should I trust other documentation? :-)

Perhaps it is better to discus this on the list rather than create a bug
report.  Obviously a more experienced developer doesn't agree with me
about the utility of this patch.

| In this particular case, though, your patch adds nothing. It's a comment
| in code; such comments are intended solely for developers, and since the
| path to the file includes directories "locale-specific" and "us" it
| seems pretty blindingly obvious that it's for US taxes.

I run GNUCash on Fedora Linux.  I use the GNUCash package supplied by
Fedora.  This file appears in
  /usr/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report/taxtxf.scm

This path does not mention locale.

Is this a packaging mistake in Fedora?  Or was this forced on Fedora since
locale is properly a run-time attribute, not a compile-time or
install-time attribute?

This file is available to Fedora users.  Not just developers.

I'm submitting this patch because I (a newbie) stumbled on it without
discovering that it was only for US folks.  The patch would have helped
me.