New Documentation Bug

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jan 29 11:28:39 EST 2017

> On Jan 29, 2017, at 12:42 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just submitted a new documentation bug (bug 777893) to add information about the SQL back end to the documentation.
>
> I am aware of the long-standing issues regarding the SQL back end, but it seems to me that the basic functionality of these back ends has stabilized enough that information about them needs to get in to the documentation. In short, it is time to get something in the docs, so that users new and old can get information that is clear and accurate.
>
> The reason I am sending this message to the devel list is that this topic will need the perspective and input from as many expert users and developers as possible to ensure that the information added for these features is clear about both the status of the feature as well as its limitations. The documentation needs to be carefully worded so that users can make informed decisions about the data format they ultimately choose.
>
> So, please look at the bug, reply here, or make suggestions on wording as you see fit.

ISTM what needs to be covered is:

1. Additional dependencies on Linux.
2. There are no automatic backups Users must arrange to make periodic snapshots themselves.
3. No simultaneous multi-user access.
4. Required privs on MySQL/Maria and Postgres.
5. Users of MySQL/Maria and Postgres are expected to either be competent DBAs or have a competent DBA available to help them; the GnuCash team can't help with DB management issues.

Anything else?

Regards,
John Ralls