Problem building master with autotools

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jul 11 23:19:04 EDT 2017

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 10:13 AM, Alex Aycinena <alex.aycinena at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> John,

Alex,

You don’t necessarily have the same problem just because you have the same symptom, but no, just having a separate build directory isn’t enough. If you have libgnc* anywhere the linker looks for libraries you run the risk of it linking one of those instead of the ones in your build-dir. The most likely suspect would be the components of the GnuCash in /usr/lib that you use for keeping your books, but if you set —prefix=/opt/foo and run make install, then later have another build for which you also set —prefix=/opt/foo then the installed libraries from the first build can screw up the second.

Short of switching to a Mac, where the application bundles and separate jhbuild prefixes keep everything perfectly isolated, the best solution is to develop in a VM and if you have multiple builds ensure that they each have their own prefix directory so that none can see the product of another.

Regards,
John Ralls