Website Platform Discussion

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 16 13:33:56 EDT 2017

Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at gmail.com> writes:

>> A side effect of the content being in a db rather than in git is it is no
>> longer stored in a distributed way. So it will be important to implement a
>> backup plan for the data.
>
> The site host should provide a facility for this either through
> cPanel/Plex, or you can set a cron job via SSH. Many have options to
> schedule backups to an offsite FTP server.
>
> You’d need to regularly back up both the db and the site structure.

Okay, so... what's the actual benefit of migrating www.gnucash.org to a
CMS?  Right now we can easily update the website remotely, have
translations, images, etc.  And it doesn't require Linas to do much
maintenance work.  The content is quazi-static, so it really doesn't
need a lot of updates.  It's not like the application is changing it's
look at feel every couple months!