Support for older distros

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Mar 23 10:52:52 EDT 2017

> On Mar 23, 2017, at 3:49 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> On woensdag 22 maart 2017 22:05:25 CET Geert Janssens wrote:
>> commit 9f3ad5510427eb69c857814de15e1c1be0727d2d
>> Author: Jesse Olmer <jesse at wickedgoodtimes.com>
>> Date:   Sat Feb 13 21:59:05 2016 -0800
>>
>>    Bug 739571 - Matching imported transactions doesn't indicate previously
>> matched entries
>>
>>    Track pending matches from the current import and display this
>> information in the match picker.
>>

> This commit (which I pushed myself) breaks travis because its unit test uses
> g_assert_true and friends.
>
> A quick lookup shows the maint branch of gnucash is still running travis tests
> on Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise), which ships with glib-2.0 2.32 while g_assert_true
> was introduced in glib-2.0 2.38.
>
> I'm in two minds about how to proceed.
> - I could revert the patch and rework it for master only. This will delay its
> formal release with a few months.
> - I could backport my patches that set the minimum required glib-2.0 version
> to 2.40 and adjust the travis environment to trusty (14.04) like master.
>
> The fundamental question here is do we still want to support Ubuntu 12.04 ? It
> will be EOL by the end of next month so I don't know whether it's still worth
> spending effort for ?
>
> What you others think ?

I suggest the 3rd alternative: Use HAVE_GLIB_2_38 to disable the offending tests on systems that don't support it. Supporting older distros doesn't mean supporting them as development platforms where all tests must work and pass.

For longer term, maint's configure.ac says that it requires 2.28. Has anyone actually tried to build with 2.28 recently? We could set up Travis with various versions of glib to ensure that we don't accidentally break our minimum requirement claims.

This is also a good time to review our minimum requirements for master, as we've about 4 months until the first beta release and we're switching to WebKit2 so that 2.8 can be in Fedora and that drags in Gtk3. We've also implemented a lot of code that requires at least gcc-4.8 and is happier with gcc-5.0. We need to figure out what versions of the major distros support that, derive from that the minimum version of glib and gtk and clean up the code accordingly, fixing any deprecations as we go.

Regards,
John Ralls