Unintended consequences / retrograde behaviour re 2.6.16 fix of Bug 603379 - Prevent changing some Account Options if it has transactions.

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 2 20:11:12 EDT 2017

On 24/04/2017 23:31, Wm via gnucash-devel wrote:

[apparent ff to self]

I have a message from JohnR that I think may have been intended for this
list.

It makes sense to me for other people to see it and hear him before I
represent my case on immutability.

===

I think account types *are* immutable in formal accounting, but I'm open
to changing my mind if you can suggest some use-cases where it's allowed.

To ensure that we're talking about the same thing, the account types
are: Asset, with subclasses  Bank, Stock, Mutual Fund, and Cash;
Liability, with subclass Credit Card; Equity, with subclasses Income and
Expense; and special types that are for GnuCash's internal use Payable,
Receivable, and Trading. There are some others declared in the code that
aren't exposed anywhere so they don't count.

I'll stipulate that Stock and Mutual Fund behave exactly the same, as do
Bank and Cash, so those four should be collapsed into two.

Regards,
John Ralls