Some Assistance Please

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed May 3 11:10:19 EDT 2017

On dinsdag 2 mei 2017 18:10:35 CEST David T. via gnucash-devel wrote:
> Here’s what I mean:
>
> On the Documentation Update instructions, section 3 contains 17 different
> steps.
>
> Step 3.1: Create a Bugzilla Bug is a step that should be undertaken with
> every proposed change to the documentation.
>
> Step 3.2: Clone the Documentation, however, is (presumably) a one-time
> setup. Steps 3.3-3.5 similarly are one-time setups (unless you’re a screwup
> like me, and then you get to do them over and over again).
>
> Steps 3.6-3.10 are again repeated for each change to the docs.
>
> Step 3.11 is a step that is not technically part of the documentation
> process at all, since it only applies to one family of GnuCash’s supported
> operating systems. Mac and Windows writers don’t perform this step, and the
> fact that I have been contributing changes for years without conducting
> these tests underscores the fact that they aren’t a required part of the
> Documentation Update process.
>
> Steps 3.12 and following are back to steps taken on each change—although at
> this point, I wonder whether people are preparing patches and attaching
> them to Bugzilla bugs (steps 3.15-3.17), or whether everyone has moved to
> the Github pull request method.

I believe you make a valid point. The current structure makes it more
difficult than necessary to find what you should do next while working on
documentation. IMO would make more sense to have a section "prepare your
environment" with the details of one time actions and a section on what's
needed the handle one specific bug. Optionally a section on how to clean up if
things went wrong or when switching to another bug to work on.

I didn't follow the discussion in the past in detail I'm afraid so I don't
know why this or something similar wasn't taken into consideration.

Geert