Gnucash wiki

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri May 19 09:52:27 EDT 2017

Templates do sound like an improvement, although I would be concerned with some of these huge wiki pages (like the Documentation Update Instructions page) that the box will be at the top, and someone will link into the page such that the box wouldn’t show.

If you set up the templates or explained how to set them up and implement them, I would consider helping out. Can’t guarantee anything.

David

> [...]
> good start IMO.
>
> As for Wiki's containing everything, I only follow up to "that is not readily
> available elsewhere". In the latter case I would prefer to be pointed at the
> proper source (for example to the Guide, or another external reference).
>
> Let's see what others can still add...
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> On donderdag 18 mei 2017 20:12:52 CEST Buddha Buck wrote:
>> I just went and looked at the Wiki, to get an idea of what the task is.
>>
>> I'm all for Wikis containing everything, as long as it is clearly
>> identified and organized. Currently, I agree that the Wiki doesn't meet
>> that standard. Even the front page is a "mixed bag" of content, and
>> could/should be organized better. As you point out, figuring out the
>> necessary organization is difficult.
>>
>> I think that for starters the creation of a few templates that can be
>> dropped onto pages to help classify content and make it visible would help.
>> For instance, create a Template:Historical template which (a) adds the
>> article to the "Historical" category, and (b) displays a box at the top of
>> the page saying that the content of the page applies to a past version of
>> GnuCash and is not current documentation. Then Wiki editors can look at a
>> page (on, say, using lots for managing stock transactions) and drop in the
>> template so that future readers who stumble upon it can clearly see it's
>> probably not what they are looking for.
>>
>> Based on the things you've noticed, I can suggest a few templates to make:
>>
>>   - Template:Historical
>>   - Template:Version|vernum|endvernum  (for marking that a page is useful
>>   for GnuCash between versions vernum and endvernum, both optional).
>>   - Template:InDevelopment (for marking pages that refer to features that
>>   are in development, but haven't been released)
>>   - Template:Os|ostype (for marking pages with OS-specific information
>>   - Template:MarkedForDeletion
>>
>> I can also see categories related to
>>
>>   - Category:HowTo
>>   - Category:Development
>>   - Category:Documentation
>>   - Category:Announcement
>>   - Category:Events
>>   - Category:CanSomeoneElseLookAtThisPlease
>>
>> 221 content pages doesn't sound like a lot. I'd be willing to do some of
>> the work to set up the templates and categories (once we nail down what we
>> want) and start working through the pages and tagging them with categories
>> and templates.
>>

>> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:25 PM Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
>>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A recent thread on a page in our wiki on lots raised the potential pitfall
>>> of
>>> having draft pages in our wiki as rightfully pointed out by David T.
>>>
>>> I don't consider me a wiki maintainer really though I have contributed to
>>> pages. This minor incident did get me thinking though. And I want to
>>> discuss
>>> the following question with a broader audience:
>>>
>>> What do we want our wiki to be ?
>>>
>>> A few statistics [0] for those interested in contributing to this
>>> discussion:
>>>
>>> 1. The wiki currently has 221 real content pages [1] of varying quality
>>> and
>>> usefulness.
>>> 2. In addition there are 310 additional related pages like redirects, talk
>>> pages,...
>>> 3. There are 12 admins, of which only a handful is still active as far as
>>> I
>>> know (and I didn't know *I* was one of them)