An improvement on the "search list archive" 404's

Eric Siegerman pub08-gnc at davor.org
Wed Nov 1 22:10:39 EDT 2017

[Moved from gnucash-user to gnucash-devel]

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:30:17AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Eric Siegerman <pub08-gnc at davor.org> writes:
> > I get that there are no immediate plans to (re)implement search
> > locally, and that's cool; but more helpful than just returning a
> > 404 error would be to put a static page at that URL that explains
> > what to do instead.
>
> Send me an HTML file that looks good and I'll put it in place.

Rather belatedly, attached is a version for you to
consider/critique.

Things to note:
  - I was going to apply the gnucash.org styling, but couldn't
    find styles to suit what I wanted.  So instead I added a bit
    of inline placeholder CSS, just to not be using <tt> and the
    like.  Look for the "fixme-xyz" class names.

  - If (as expected) someone arrives at this page from the
    there's JavaScript that will modify the search-engine HREFs
    to only search the list in question.

    (I don't know how you feel about JavaScript in general, but I
    noticed that there is a little of it on the site.  If you'd
    rather it go away, that's fine; I knew I was writing it "on
    spec".)

  - Even without JavaScript, the static HREFs arrange to search
    only the GNC lists -- but all of them in that case.
      - For Google, that consists of adding a "q=site:whatever"
	query parameter, which Google then stuffs into the
	search-form field.

	ISSUE: They don't put a space after it, so users will
	have to type one.  It's a minor nit, but it is an
	annoyance.

	If anyone knows how to convince google.com to add the
	trailing space, so much the better!

  - I replaced Yahoo with Nabble:
      - Yahoo doesn't seem to be indexing the GNC lists any more.
	I tried searching for a couple of phrases chosen out of
	random list posts, and Yahoo couldn't find anything

      - A lot of folks here seem to use Nabble, so that served
        as a recommendation for what to offer instead

If you want changes, just let me know.  (Or feel free to make
them yourself; I'm good either way.)

I presume that in either case, once it's ready to go, you'll have
to do some slicing and dicing to put its head and body pieces
into whatever CMS you're using.

  - Eric