Missing glib/gobject when compiling

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Sun Nov 5 11:22:08 EST 2017

> On Nov 5, 2017, at 4:36 AM, Edward Bridges <ebridges at eqbridges.com <mailto:ebridges at eqbridges.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot for an awesome accounting product!  It's been very helpful
> for my family's personal finance!
>
> The gap I've found is that reporting isn't as flexible as I would like.
> To address this I'm hoping to PostgreSQL as the backend to make querying
> a bit easier.  However, I'm on MacOS and need to compile it locally in
> order to do this.
>
> I've followed these instructions to do this:
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz>
>
> All went smoothly until I hit `jhbuild build` and got an error about
> missing either the "glib" and/or "gobject" packages.
>
> Wouldn't these be installed by `jhbuild bootstrap`?
>
> I'm on Sierra (10.12.6 (16G29))
>
> ```
> checking for pkg-config... /Users/gnucash/gnucash-stable/bin/pkg-config
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.16... yes
> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.31.2... Package glib-2.0 was not found
> in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glib-2.0.pc'
> No package 'glib-2.0' found
> Package gobject-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gobject-2.0.pc'
> No package 'gobject-2.0' found
> no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
> for the
> *** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly
> installed.
> configure: error:
> *** GLIB 2.31.2 or better is required. The latest version of
> *** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/. If GLIB is
> installed
> *** but not in the same location as pkg-config add the location of the
> file
> *** glib-2.0.pc to the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH.
> *** Error during phase configure of atk: ########## Error running
> ./configure --prefix /Users/gnucash/gnucash-stable
> *** [29/71]

No, glib is about halfway through the third meta-module, meta-gtk-osx (bootstrap and meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap being the first two). The command “jhbuild build” should build all of GnuCash’s dependencies in the right order.

However since you only need to build the pgsql libdbi driver you should be able to skip to
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz#Building_Libdbi_Drivers <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz#Building_Libdbi_Drivers>
libdbi-drivers doesn’t depend on anything Gnome, it only needs the dpi and pgsql client headers and dylibs.

Regards,
John Ralls