gnucash 2.7.1: ERROR: Unbound variable: gnc-build-dotgnucash-path

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Nov 20 12:56:34 EST 2017

> On Nov 20, 2017, at 9:02 AM, Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> yes, the same can be done in scheme but the question is "will scheme reports/scripts need to be rewritten for Gnucash 2.7/2.8?" (i.e. no back compatibility guaranteed)
>
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 5:50 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us <mailto:jralls at ceridwen.us>> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 20, 2017, at 1:37 AM, Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com <mailto:sdementen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Indeed. But in gnucash guile world, how will scm scripts using the old API still work tomorrow ? Or do they need a migration/versioning per gnucash version ?
>>
>> On Nov 20, 2017 06:04, "John Ralls" <jralls at ceridwen.us <mailto:jralls at ceridwen.us>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Nov 19, 2017, at 8:28 PM, Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com <mailto:sdementen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> btw, how can I keep backward compatibility in this case so that my reports work for both gnucash 2.7/2.8 and gnucash 2.6 ?
>>>

>>> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com <mailto:sdementen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> Ok, thanks for the clarification.

>>> It’s renamed to gnc-build-userdata-path. See libgnucash/core-utils/core-utils.scm.
>>>
>>> Depends on the question. API questions usually belong here.
>>
>> Please remember to copy the list on all replies.
>>
>> The pythonic way would be to catch the unbound variable exception and try the other one in the handler.
>
> I’m not much of a schemer so someone more fluent should chime in… but Scheme also has exceptions so I imagine that the same pattern would work.

Yes. We make no guarantees about API stability. The only backwards compatibility guarantee is that the last release of a stable series will be able to load (but not necessarily write) the data of the new stable series and that data files will be stable during a stable series.

That said, we do need to look for and document API changes for 2.8. We also need a nice user-friendly “what’s new” document.

Regards,
John Ralls