Register text alignment

Robert Fewell 14ubobit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 09:47:48 EST 2017

Hi,

With the change in PR 239 I think the register alignment is finished unless
there are things I have missed / not observed.

There is one issue that Geert has highlighted with the font he uses,
Abyssinica SIL but I am not sure there is any thing I can do about it, the
problem is below...

For information the cell height is made up of the following elements...

  top cell border(1), black
  top margin(2), yellow
  top entry border(1), transparent, green in attachment
  top entry padding(0)
  entry highlight( dependant on font size), blue
  bottom entry padding(0)
  bottom entry border(1), transparent, green in attachment
  bottom margin(2), yellow
  bottom cell border(1), black

The red and blue horizontal lines are cell border and +- 1 line so 3px thick
The Cursor line is cell border and -1 so 2px thick.

In the attached image 'absy-reg', you can see the top part is some text
with Abyssinica font at 14px, the bottom left is a dialog entry with same
font and to the right is Sans-serif at 14px.
As you can see when the text is highlighted, the underscore is cut off even
if the entry border is left transparent. This is more exaggerated when the
font is increased as it starts to cut the bottom of the descenders like 'g'
on certain sizes.
Also attached is image 'abys-10-16' which shows the application Abyssinica
font increasing from 10 to 16 and again you can see the text getting closer
to the bottom line as it increases. This can be made slightly better by
setting the bottom padding in there CSS config file but the highlighted
text will still not be changed.

Looking at the font in FontForge, it looks like the '_' and the bottom of
the descenders are below that of the font descent value and so causes the
problem.

Regards,

   Bob