[MAINT] Network Work on Code Sunday, Oct 1, 1-4pm EDT

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Sep 30 09:54:40 EDT 2017

Hi,

tl;dr:  AT&T is coming to fix some network issues tomorrow, Sunday,
between 1-4pm EDT; service can last up to 2 hours and may involve
several network outages.

LONG VERSION:

As some of you may have noticed, there have been some network issues to
code which started just over a week ago.  One of the downsides was
significant packet loss and gncbot disappearing from IRC.  Alas, I had
been out of the country while this was happening and couldn't start to
really look into it; I restarted gncbot several times while I was away
but due to the persistent network issues it regularly would lost
contact.

I'm seeing anywhere from 20-40% packet loss and ping times to my
immediate router anywhere from 200-1000ms (whereas it's usually 3-4ms).
I called AT&T, my ISP, and they are sending a tech tomorrow, Sunday,
October 1, between 1-4pm EDT.  The maintenance could potentially take 2
hours once they arrive, but of course it all depends on what the issue
is.

This will affect code, lists, and wiki services including email, gncbot,
etc.

I'll attempt to keep people informed over IRC, assuming of course that I
can get online prior to the work being done.