emojis everywhere, seeking understanding / clarity / opinion

Eric Siegerman pub08-gnc at davor.org
Sat Apr 7 15:52:47 EDT 2018

On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 07:31:38AM -0700, John Ralls wrote:
> > On Apr 6, 2018, at 11:11 PM, Wm via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> wrote:
> > gnc 3.0 allows emojis in places I think inappropriate
> > account names
> > account codes
> > securities

> Filtering for meaning is Way Too Hard. It would be too hard just in English, every additional localization squares it.
>
> Besides, if a user wants to have an emoji as (part of) an account name, isn’t that the user’s business? It’s all Unicode, so from a text processing standpoint no different from Chinese.

What @John says makes sense to me.  One can conceive of someone
coming up with an "SFW" subset of Unicode for a given locale
(assuming there's tooling to support Unicode subsets), and of GNC
honouring that subset if requested -- but devising it doesn't
seem like GNC's job.

However...

> > and offers them in places it shouldn't
> > e.g.
> > dates
> > numbers

Could you explain "offers" (as opposed to "allows")?  I've been
looking, and don't see them coming up in dropdown lists or the
like.  And when I try to type one directly into a numeric field
(e.g. Debit), it's ignored completely.  (That's in the register,
on Linux, though; Windows or Mac OS might be different, as might
different areas of GNC.)

If emojis were being offered and/or accepted in a numeric field,
though, shouldn't they be rejected as syntactically invalid?  In
this case, what they are is beside the point; it's what they
*aren't*, i.e. numeric, that matters.

  - Eric