[GNC-dev] Bye-bye Unstable

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 03:58:24 EDT 2018

On 16/04/2018 17:40, Geert Janssens wrote:
> Op maandag 16 april 2018 12:33:53 CEST schreef Robert Fewell:
>> Just trying to get myself straight for going forward.
>> maint is now for bug fixes on version 3.0
>> master is for new stuff that would go into 4.0 but may be backported to 3.x
>> if appropriate
>>
> Mostly. We normally don't "backport". If something is wanted on maint, it
> should be committed to maint first and merged into master afterwards.
>
> A real backport should only happen if that was forgotten, but that should
> really be an exception.

Bob probably didn't *really* mean "backport".  My guess is he's just
trying to work out what master | maint | 3.0 | 3.x | something else mean
now in ordinary terms.

I can't figure it out either.

>> Is master version 3.99, it appears to be 3.0 still and does show the build
>> warning ?
>
> Not 3.99. With the new numbering scheme it should become 3.900, leaving us
> with 99 beta release numbers before 4.0.

I'd like to join Bob and say I'm also not understanding this.

I think what I am asking is:

could you please relate the git commands to versions people understand.

Maybe Bob was asking something different, if so, my apols to him.

--
Wm