[GNC-dev] Proposed updates to Wiki Build#Ubuntu pages

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 19 01:11:58 EDT 2018

John, Geert and whoever maintains the  Wiki Build#Ubuntu_16.04
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building>  pages.

I would like to propose some edits to the above Wiki page section in the
light of my recent experiences building Guncash v3.0 which may help others
building it in future.

My major problems I encountered were in getting googletest and googlemock
installed and running smoothly, not having fully removed libraries from
2.6.19 and the right choice of relative reference to the top level
CmakLists.txt.

I think the main reason Google doesn't recommend installing googletest and
googlemock as shared libraries is because of their reluctance to get dragged
into any maintenance issues on the various Linux distros rather than with
any inherent problems with shared libraries as such.

In version 1.8.0 the move to a single repository and download for googlemock
and googleletest makes the installation as shared libraries fairly easy on
Ubuntu systems.  I am guessing the patch to GncADDTest and the
CmakeLists.txtin ~/common/test-core to detect shared libraries won't be in
the stable version until v3.1 is released.

I would propose adding a note to the dependencies secion on the above page
referencing the ability to use shared libraries with v1.8.0 and referencing
an additional wki page addressing setting up for using googlemock and
googletest for building GnuCash which could have a section for setting up
GTEST_ROOT and GMOCK_ROOT if not using shared libraries  and or v 1.7.0 and
a section on setting up shared libraries for v 1.8.0. I put a tutorial up on
the Linux Mint Forum for that as I found the info available on many online
source and forums was a) very skettchy and b) sometimes confusing or
misleading which i could either reference or just incorporate directly.

I also propose putting a note re removing previous libraries. I had relied
on a Linux Mint menu uninstall option which worked with the distro installed
version but not with 2.6.19 which i had built. Another possibility is to
reference a page with instructions on how to remove files relative to the
install prefix.

The third proposal  would be to have some explanatory notes, possibly with
some examples, on the positioning of the build directory relative to the
source directory. My experience with this is that unlike the documentation
build, there does not appear to be a need to have the build directory
outside the source directory. This could either go on the Cmake page
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/CMake

If you are happy with the above proposals or can suggest other approaches, I
am willing to have a go at editing the Wiki if I can be granted the
appropriate permissions to edit the pages and create the requisite new
pages.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens