[GNC-dev] GnuCash 3.0 wine versus Windoze 10

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:23:36 EDT 2018

On 04/20/2018 11:44 AM, Robin Chattopadhyay wrote:
> David-
>
> Thank you very much for this comprehensive tutorial for building from
> source. I'm newish to Linux and I want to be able to do this but I've been
> confused. I managed to muddle through building 3.0 from source the evening
> before your email came.
>
> I have some lingering questions that maybe this group can help with:
> After downloading the source and extracting the files, I made a second
> directory for the build, so I had:
> /home/foo/gnucash-3.0
> /home/foo/gnucash-build
>
> Is this a correct/reasonable/best practice?
>
> After I successfully ran cmake and make install and I can run gnucash, what
> if anything, can I or should I delete? Or should I keep the source and
> build directories?
>
> I was running into problems with cmake when I set -D WITH_PYTHON=ON. I
> didn't capture any of the error messages, but it IIRC it was complaining
> about not having some test utility. I eventually switched to -D
> WITH_PYTHON=OFF and I was able to proceed. Is it possible that this is
> related to not installing the GTEST/GMOCK packages?
>
> Thanks,
> Robin
>
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 3:35 AM, DaveC49 <davidcousens at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey,
>>
>> I will start form scratch. The first step is setting up for building. My
>> apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs. Linux Mint has an alias of apt
>> defined for apt-get. I am not sure if it is also defined in Ubuntu. If not
>> substitute apt-get where I have apt in the following.
>>
>> # first download a copy of the gnucash source code gnucash-3.0.tar.bz2 from
>> # https://www.gnucash.org/download.phtml and extract the gnucash-3.0
>> source
>> file. I use a folder called # Applications in my home directory for
>> programs
>> and libraries I build from scratch and usually keep the
>> # sources there so i can easily rebuild if I strike a problem, but that is
>> just a personal preference.
>>
>> #Open a terminal/bash shell and then cd to the extracted folder
>> gnucash-3.0.
>>
>> # this loads compilers,dev tools etc as per
>> https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/build-essential
>> $sudo apt install build essential
>> $sudo apt install cmake
>>
>> #the next step is to install the gnucash dependencies as listed in the
>> README.dependencies file under the #gnucash-3.0 folder. This generally
>> lists
>> the minimum version of the libraries required. You will generally find
>> that
>> Ubuntu will in most cases load a later version. I will list the command to
>> load  followed by the required version as in that file as a #comment
>> separated by a #. The list on https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building lists
>> the development headers that are required but you may also need to load the
>> libraries as well

> [...]
David:

No offense taken.  It's not the first time I have had to have someone
hold me by the hand and walk me trough the obvious stuff to build a
program.

I will continue to use the default data structure files.  SQL and I have
a tendency to argue with each other.

I will give your tutorial a try, in a few days.

Question:

I would like to run any builds I do under a different program name,
keeping a stable version for backup use.  Any idea of how much of a hole
I would be digging myself into?  Not as GnuCash but; say MyGnuCashBuild.

My guess is I would need to set up a VM to have different versions on
the same system?  I would probably be better off to use my builds on
this Ubuntu tower and continue with the stable on my laptop, with
separate data files.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A