[GNC-dev] Import PDF to GnuCash

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Aug 6 06:19:41 EDT 2018

A company I work with just started using QB Pro 2018, so I’ll check on this feature, but a web search turned up this forum topic: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Do-more-with-QuickBooks/Pdf-Conversion-to-QBO/td-p/145466

which seems to indicate that it’s nothing new. You need 3rd party software to convert an *electronically generated* pdf to QBO format which QuickBooks can then upload. Scans of paper are not recommended due to the OCR issues, so OCR isn’t their method. They seem to be ’scanning’ the text of the file, but they specify ALL of the text has to be selectable and they recommend only PDF statements generated by the bank. So most likely, these are programmatically generated plain text files that have styling and formatting applied and shipped in a PDF container. The rather expensive software, reverses the process back to plain text and then interprets what the transactions are. I guess it’s possible the banks are doing EDI and simply offering customers a ‘pretty printable version’ in PDF format but with the EDI fields embedded so the file could still be used with EDI and this special software is just taking advantage of that to generate an importable format.

Other solutions mentioned for various incarnations of Intuit software is to skip the QBO step and go to CSV, which puts us in GnuCash territory. But I’d bet dimes to dollars, you don’t need $100+ software to accomplish that task if OCR isn’t part of the workflow.

Regards,
Adrien