[GNC-dev] New balsheet (and P&L report), API considerations, and (slow?) KVP in Account.cpp

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 08:40:22 EDT 2018

Hi All

Thank you for feedback - I *do* take all feedback into account, even if
I don't always agree with them-- and this is from my understanding of
Gnucash evolution(*) rather from any expert knowledge of accounting.

(*: we all know Gnucash has evolved through generations rather than a
grand design <g>)

1) Frank et al requests some analysis of accounts for grouping into
Short/Long, etc. I disagree. The current balance-sheet does not make any
judgements into the types of monies held in various asset/liability
accounts, and I do not particularly think it is universally agreed which
assets should be long/short-term, which ones are fixed etc. The current
balance-sheet will just take a nested list of asset/liability accounts,
and simply list them sequentially, up to depth-limit. The ways that an
account can be tagged fixed, long or depreciation, contra, etc is not
something the current balance-sheet can understand, nor am I willing to
impose my judgement to report. The Tutorial and Concepts Guide does
encourage that Fixed Assets are held in account structure
Assets:Fixed:Asset1 and its depreciation amounts are recorded in
Assets:Fixed:Asset1:Depreciation, and I see no problem in that, and
balsheet (old or new) will diligently report all amounts.

However I do understand there may be a wish for a customized balsheet to
apply heuristics/rules for depreciation/current/fixed etc assets but
this requires expert accounting knowledge.

2) Subtotals being above or below the account-and-children family is
something that current balsheet already does, and I'm keen to preserve.
The current balance-sheet allows 4 combinations of
display/parent-account-subtotal strategies, and 2 of them produce
nonsensical reports. I've distilled 4 into 2 valid possibilities, and I
know the 2 other options are nonsensical. From prior discussion, some
preferred above, and some preferred below, so be it.

Additionally, I have seen numerous examples, from my nested chart of
accounts with account-depth of 4, that the amount indenting is just
wrong. I have fixed it.

3) In the screenshot, EUR Amounts not converted to USD is not confusing
at all. In the test book there are USD/GBP prices but no USD/EUR prices.
The old balance-sheet would convert any EUR amount to 0 USD and display
an incorrect total.4) The amounts being links are a new feature - the
new income-statement links to a transaction report detailing the
amounts, and the new balance-sheet links to the register entry which
documents the exact balance-sheet figure.

4) Amounts being indented are not my preference, however they are
indented in existing balsheet and I'd rather leave the possibility for
those who prefer. It could be done in CSS, but it's not difficult at all
to leave it in scheme.

5) Amounts being clickable is a nice addition... do try and see what it
does.

6) My main concern remains the accuracy of figures -- I use official API
to retrieve xaccAccountBalanceAsOfDate so I don't doubt the amounts are
right, but I'm not sure the outcome when unusual CoA are used eg
depreciation, contra accounts, equity with opening-entries or
closing-entries etc.

7) The sections are copied from balance-sheet and they need
experimentation... I'd be grateful if anyone can review the section
amounts are selecting the correct amounts. I don't think I've got it
100% correct and need feedback.