[GNC-dev] New balsheet (and P&L report), API considerations, and (slow?) KVP in Account.cpp

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Aug 8 11:51:51 EDT 2018

I haven't been following every detail of this. However I note on most balance
sheets the total assets doesn't match total net worth (or liabilities/equity).
In most, this is fixed by including the retained earnings.

I believe at least in most European countries the "left hand side" (Assets,
Active) and "right hand side" (Passive or liabilities + equity) of the
multicolumn view should balance (it's called balance sheet for a reason).
That would suggest retained earnings does have to be part of the balance
sheet.

However I'm not an accountant and perhaps your book is slightly contrived so I
don't know the exact answer here.

As for the "multi-column" vs one column debate, both present the same data.
The only difference is visual representation or style.

As of recently I have become a strong proponent of separating structure (or
accounting functionality in a different context) from style, I think this
should be delegated to the realm of css. This particular layout variation can
IMO be handled by making divs for each large group and either let them follow
normal flow or use float to move them next to each other. If you will you can
have a European style sheet and an American one, or an Australian or whatever.

As for "categories", I read Frank's earlier reply as if he agreed that at
least for now the account organization is something to be done in the CoA, not
in report code.

Regards,

Geert