[GNC-dev] Main WIki Page edit

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Aug 18 09:53:44 EDT 2018

> On Aug 17, 2018, at 11:45 PM, David T. via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 17, 2018, at 11:29 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 16.08.2018 um 20:37 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was reviewing the Wiki today to try to figure out where a page on the SQL formats might get attached, and I noticed a change to the Glossary section that makes for awkward English.
>>>
>>> As currently entered, the section reads:
>>>
>>> Above GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide includes a comprehensive Glossary: [https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/gnc-gloss.html Released] or [https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/gnc-gloss.html Maintainer] version.
>>>
>>> However, it used to say:
>>>
>>> The GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide includes a comprehensive Glossary: [https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/gnc-gloss.html Released] or [https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/gnc-gloss.html Maintainer] version.
>>>
>>> I would like to ask that someone with edit permissions on the wiki home page to please change the word “Above” back to “The” to make the section read more idiomatically.
>>>
>>> David T.
>>
>> IMHO it is also bad style to have:
>> The Tutorial and Concepts Guide - an in-depth guide to the concepts.
>> :
>> The GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide includes a comprehensive
>> Glossary: Released or Maintainer version.
>>

> We differ in our opinion here. I stand by my recommendation.

And you’re both right, it needs a more thorough rewrite to flow better. Since the glossary isn’t a stand-alone document it shouldn’t have its own level-two header. An additional sentence in the T&CG paragraph under Official Documentation would be better. On the other hand the wiki needs more prominence, there’s a whole lot more information there than just the FAQ and technical glossary.

Regards,
John Ralls