[GNC-dev] Register Documentation Improvements (was Re: [GNC] Column widths again)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 21 15:24:25 EDT 2018

> On Aug 21, 2018, at 11:50 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
> - it should allow multiple output formats. A few the come to mind:
> html, pdf, epub, mobi, windows compressed help, xml for yelp,...

We don't need a single tool to do that; in fact we don't use a single tool now. We create Windows compressed html (.chm) with HTML Help Workshop from the xslt-created HTML and mobi with calibre from the xslt-created epub.

That aside, I think we should reconsider windows compressed help. Microsoft's own Windows 10 applications seem to open the browser to the relevant documentation page on www.microsoft.com and the help browser is still decorated with Windows 2000 frame and controls. It looks quite jarring. We could more easily just open the documents in a GtkWebkitWebView just like reports.

Regards,
John Ralls