[GNC-dev] Register Documentation Improvements (was Re: [GNC] Column widths again)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 21 13:10:19 EDT 2018

Adrien,

If you mean https://help.gnome.org <https://help.gnome.org/>, those docs are built using Yelp tools, see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME?utf8=%E2%9C%93&filter=yelp <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME?utf8=%E2%9C%93&filter=yelp>. Most of that documentation seems pretty cursory, even for largish apps like Gnome Web (aka Epiphany).

Not all “Gnome” projects are included there. The GIMP and Inkscape (though I guess since Inkscape doesn’t keep their repo on gitlab.gnome.org <http://gitlab.gnome.org/> they’re no more a Gnome app than we are), for example, both maintain their own documentation (in DocBook) and doc build scripts.

Gimp’s docs are similar to ours if one doesn’t use viewdoc: They stand apart; there are links to the previous and next pages, there’s a “home” link back to the TOC, but nothing tying it to the main website.

Inkscape doesn’t really have a comprehensive manual. There’s a man page (not on their website) and 9 single-page tutorials (written in DocBook) that are displayed as regular website content pages with no extra links beyond the site menubar across the top.

No doubt that viewdoc.phtml could be improved. As Geert noted it’s pretty basic, just 144 lines of php. If someone fluent in modern php and css would like to overhaul and modernize the website we’d welcome it, but I think the core team’s time is better spent on GnuCash itself.

Regards,
John Ralls