[GNC-dev] Register Documentation Improvements (was Re: [GNC] Column widths again)

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Aug 23 04:00:29 EDT 2018

Op dinsdag 21 augustus 2018 21:36:58 CEST schreef John Ralls:
> > On Aug 21, 2018, at 11:50 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> > wrote:
> > Aside from that they also expect there writers to work with git.
>
> Version control is an obvious hard requirement. I don't know if it
> completely fulfills your "manageability" requirement, but it's crucial in a
> collaborative environment to be able to track who-did-what-when and to be
> able to restore an earlier version if something goes awry.

In my requirements I deliberately wrote "manageability". Today we use git for
this and from my developer's point of view it has all the features we need. So
I consider it an excellent candidate. Unfortunately most non-developers
experience it as a major hurdle.

So I'm open for alternatives that would equally handle version control, but is
easier for documentation writers to cope with.

This can be a completely different tool that feels more intuitive or it can be
a system layered on top of git which would hide git's technicalities. For
example a web interface that offers online documentation editing and that
behind the scenes stores changes in git. I don't know of such project off-hand
though, but it may be worth looking around for.

Those who need more advanced access can clone the git repo and work locally.

> That said I'm perfectly happy to copy a rewritten section of a document into
> my working directory and create a commit out of it on behalf of a
> non-technical author who can't get their head around git.

Of course. Same for me. Anything that lowers the barrier.

Geert