[GNC-dev] Register Documentation Improvements (was Re: [GNC] Column widths again)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Aug 23 09:55:52 EDT 2018

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 6:37 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op donderdag 23 augustus 2018 15:08:54 CEST schreef Derek Atkins:
>> Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> writes:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> So I'm open for alternatives that would equally handle version
>>> control, but is easier for documentation writers to cope with.
>>>
>>> This can be a completely different tool that feels more intuitive or
>>> it can be a system layered on top of git which would hide git's
>>> technicalities. For example a web interface that offers online
>>> documentation editing and that behind the scenes stores changes in
>>> git. I don't know of such project off-hand though, but it may be worth
>>> looking around for.
>>>
>>> Those who need more advanced access can clone the git repo and work
>>> locally.
>> I wonder how hard it would be to write a web interface on top of git
>> that abstracts away most of the git work to enable easier access?
>>
>> -derek
>
> It looks like gitlab does something like this already...
>
> At least on Gnome's gitlab there are buttons to edit or open a webide. They
> only work on pages you have write access of course. However you can always
> fork a repo to get one with write access.

So does GitHub (it’s the pencil icon to the right of Raw/Blame/History), which also has a desktop front-end, https://desktop.github.com/ <https://desktop.github.com/> and a button on a file’s webpage that opens the file in Github Desktop.

I haven’t tried any of them, but perhaps David T. might like to and give us a non-developer perspective.

Regards,
John Ralls