[GNC-dev] Register Documentation Improvements (was Re: [GNC] Column widths again)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Aug 23 10:43:02 EDT 2018

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 3:00 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op dinsdag 21 augustus 2018 21:36:58 CEST schreef John Ralls:
>>> On Aug 21, 2018, at 11:50 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
>>> wrote:
>>> Aside from that they also expect there writers to work with git.
>>
>> Version control is an obvious hard requirement. I don't know if it
>> completely fulfills your "manageability" requirement, but it's crucial in a
>> collaborative environment to be able to track who-did-what-when and to be
>> able to restore an earlier version if something goes awry.
>>
> In my requirements I deliberately wrote "manageability". Today we use git for
> this and from my developer's point of view it has all the features we need. So
> I consider it an excellent candidate. Unfortunately most non-developers
> experience it as a major hurdle.
>
> So I'm open for alternatives that would equally handle version control, but is
> easier for documentation writers to cope with.
>
> This can be a completely different tool that feels more intuitive or it can be
> a system layered on top of git which would hide git's technicalities. For
> example a web interface that offers online documentation editing and that
> behind the scenes stores changes in git. I don't know of such project off-hand
> though, but it may be worth looking around for.

Such a thing does exist.

I’ve been investigating this for some client projects that use Wordpress. There are plugins that interface with git for version control both for the site as a whole and for specific pages/posts. Wordpress itself has a revisions control built in, though it doesn’t work with git out of the box, you can see who made what changes and revert specific ones if needed.

I think I also found some time ago that Wikimedia has plugins for generating the needed formats.

Regards,
Adrien