[GNC-dev] avoid the brain dead import

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Aug 29 20:46:10 EDT 2018

No, the matcher doesn’t troll through the books to construct matching data though that’s an interesting idea. It works purely off of matches you make during imports.

There’s a difference between the 2.6 and 3 match tables: The former uses the full account name (e.g. Expenses:Auto:Gas) and the latter uses the GUID like the description matcher always has. The first time you run the matcher in GnuCash 3 it updates the table, converting the account names to GUIDs. If you’ve got a large match table it can take a while to do the conversion.

Note that each asset account has its own match table so if you do imports for more than one account you’ll have to endure the conversion for each of them.

If you think you have a lot of obsolete match data that’s slowing down matches you can tidy them up in GnuCash 3. Expect it to be a long and tedious process, though, unless you decide to nuke them all and retrain the matcher from scratch. After all if there weren’t a *lot* of records it wouldn’t be slow.

None of which is to suggest that the matcher is a particularly efficient design, it’s not. There’s a lot of room for improvement if someone has an itch they want to scratch.

Regards,
John Ralls