[GNC-dev] Interest

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Dec 11 08:02:15 EST 2018

Op dinsdag 11 december 2018 13:05:02 CET schreef Hamidreza Jafari:
> Hello,
>
> I use GnuCash mostly for personal finance and use its basic features, that's
> why I have not tried it completely with all its capabilities. When I
> decided to translate I had no idea I would encounter parts of it designed
> in specific doctrines. This is one such string that paused my for a while:
>
> Enter the annual interest rate in percent. Accepts values from 0.001 - 100.
> The Mortgage Assistant does not support zero-interest loans.
>
> Although it is possible to set up zero interest business using extra effort
> it is better that the tool can be used at a policy level. Historical views
> on the subject are clear. It is true that Islam (which was referred to as
> Sharia) takes sides about it, it is not the only one contending. There are
> some issues in life that are not a matter of voting simply because of
> limited capacity of everyday person.
>
> It is not clear to me if there are some other parts in GnuCash that have
> been designed in similar ideas. I would like it to be accepting of the
> moral side by allowing interest-free transactions (I currently suffice to
> this level of goodness advocacy). I hope it is designed and implemented in
> such a way that extension is possible if not a simple refactoring can do
> the job.
>
> What's the situation?

Well, as John pointed out you can set up an interest free loan directly as a
scheduled transaction. The only difference between an ordinary scheduled
transaction and what the mortgage repayment tool offers is a complex interest
calculation. Other than that it will also just create a schedule of future
transactions. So if there's no complicated interest calculation I would think
a normal scheduled transaction can accomplish the same thing.

I don't see what else you would expect as "features" of an interest free loan
?

Regards,

Geert