[GNC-dev] Wiki enable Maths extensions

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Dec 18 18:54:38 EST 2018

Hi Steve,

If you want to contibute the best start is to joint the GnuCash Dev and GnuCash User mailing lists
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists as suggested

The mailing lists are also accessible via a Nabble web interface which I find easier to use than email but that is a
personal preference.

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/.

One thing that is not obvious is you need to register separately for the mailing lists and the Nabble interface
otherwise your posts end up in moderation limbo for a time. Same credentials seems to work OK. If you are replying by
email the use the Reply to All or Reply to List to make sure posts reach the list so that all the list contributors can
see and respond.  The Dev list doesn't have a lot of traffic at times, usually increases around a rlease. I think a lot
of main developers also use the IRC channel regularly.

The GnuCash code can be daunting to find your way round at first. I have found Sourcetrail useful in that regard for
finding linked code in the different sections. Code documentation is fairly sparse.

Are you using GnuCash as a user? That may help with some familiararity with the terminolgy. If not
http://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml will give you an introduction

The Wiki has a development page which links some other information relevant for the process.
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development_Process

The core developers at the moment are Geert Janssens, John Ralls and Derek Atkins. There is also a list of the
historical developers somewhere in the code base. Some are still actively working on the code.

There is also a documentation team and a separate github repository for the docs.

Good luck

David Cousens