[GNC-dev] Introduction, a story, and 50% improvement in XML loading speed

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Dec 24 08:29:15 EST 2018

Op maandag 24 december 2018 13:38:27 CET schreef Chris Carson:
> *The Patch*
>
> I tried a couple of different fixes to this.  The patch below copies off
> and validates only the bytes being consumed.  It brings the user CPU to
> startup and load my XML file from ~38 seconds to ~20.5 seconds, and given
> that 4.5 seconds of that is startup I make that about a 50% improvement in
> load speed.  I tried a more aggressive fix for funsies and it wasn't much
> better.
>
> I have tested this *ONLY* on the load of my largeish XML file.  But the
> patched code reads well.
>
> What would you guys advise as next steps?

No you celebrate your first patch was included in the project's code base :)
A good find, congratulations!

I have committed your fix. It is consistent with the same we also do in
generic_accumulate_chars (sixtp-utils.cpp :80)

For future submissions it's probably easier to generate a pull request on
github. I'm looking forward to those :)

Regards,

Geert