[GNC-dev] Make of 3.3-181

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Dec 24 12:30:26 EST 2018

> On Dec 24, 2018, at 1:35 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op maandag 24 december 2018 02:33:39 CET schreef Frank H. Ellenberger:
>> I would suspect
>>
>> either the change of locale-specific-tax from an option to the default
>> behaviour in configure was not completely ported to cmake
>>
>> or it was not applied if the locale was C.
>>
>> Frank
>
> As far as I remember this has always been the case. The German Tax reports are
> only added if gnucash is built in an environment configured to the German
> locale. In all other cases it is skipped, and instead a US tax report is
> built. A part of the build system detects this and issues a warning.
>
> This is a historical configuration wart that needs fixing at some point.
> Country or jurisdiction specific decisions should not be made at compile time,
> but at run time and even then probably only under user control.
>
> So the build system and code should change in such a way that both reports get
> built and included unconditionally and that the user at run time decides which
> report to run. In the current implementation though only one of these reports
> can exist at any given time IIRC.

Agreed in principle, but in this case ISTM it would make more sense to just remove them.

de_DE.scm hasn’t been substantively maintained since it was first committed in 2005. taxtxf-de_DE.scm was last updated in 2011. The US versions get annual updates. Add to that that few if any users even have access to them because they require that the user build from source in the de_DE locale.

Regards,
John Ralls