[GNC-dev] GnuCash 3.4: Building on ubuntu 18.04

Antonios Hadjigeorgalis Antonios at Hadji.co
Mon Dec 31 18:15:52 EST 2018

   I'm seeing two issues when building gnucash on ubuntu 18.04

   issue #1:

   build completes successfully using cmake and make with cmake command
   line:

   cmake -DWITH_PYTHON=ON -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/gnucash34
   -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo ..

   But then, the executable fails to find library modules is
   /opt/gnucash34/lib  after make install. Also, the same error occurs if
   trying to start from the build directory.  I see lines in the trace
   file saying (there are about 20 lines with various module names in
   place of ...
   * 14:56:29  WARN <gnc.module> Could not locate module gnucash/ ... v.0
   * 14:56:29  MESSG <gnc.module> Could not locate module gnucash/ ... v.0
   and a final line saying

   * 14:56:29  WARN <gnc.bin> GnuCash engine failed to initialize.
   Exiting.

   If I remove the -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/gnucash34 then the build
   starts and works from the build directory.

   issue#2

   Running tests, one test fails: 28 - test-userdata-dir-invalid-home
   (Failed). This happens regardless of successful
   Running that test individually shows error messages such as:
   (Error: /home/antonios/.config/gnucash is a descendant of a
   non-existing home directory. As GnuCash will never create a home
   directory this path can't be used: Permission denied:
   "/home/antonios/.config/gnucash")

   Antonios Hadjigeorgalis