price.date, transaction.post_date and neutral time

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 11:10:47 EST 2018

On 13/02/2018 09:12, Alen Siljak wrote:

> Done. https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash_and_Mobile_Devices

sweet

>> Aside: I am completely confused how MMEX for Android could be used for
>> Asset Allocation, MMEX doesn't understand Assets and Liabilities and
>> Equity!  Looking at the forums, the dev's of MMEX haven't realised that
>> prices aren't available from Y! any more, etc.  Crazy.  If the MMEX for
>> Android app is moving beyond MMEX itself and may be working better with
>> gnc then please let us know,
>
> It's very simple really. MMEX schema supports Asset and Investment accounts. For me, AA is really very simple:
>
> - we set the allocation. I.e. 10% stocks, 90% bonds.

wow, you're a lot older than I expected if your stock / bond allocation
is usual, damn near dead or very unforgiving about the world's economies

> - we enter the investments we own, i.e. Stocks Fund, Bonds Fund, Direct Bond, favorite company ABC stock, etc.
> - we link the investments (by symbol) to the allocation classes above.
>    Stocks Fund => stocks
>    Bonds Fund => bonds
>    Direct Bond => bonds
>    ABC => stocks
> - we get the latest prices

That's looking self referential to me as your plan allows for a 1.75%
government bond to be called a stock and a stock to be called a bond.

all a bit pointless.

> All that computer software needs to do (and, deep into 21st century this is the least I'd expect my personal finance app to do) is to calculate the current value of the holdings, therefore asset classes, and say:
> "you have 50K in investments, out of which 30% is in stocks and 70% in bonds, while your allocation is 10%/90%".

Isn't that just back referencing ?

I own a dog, I check my dog ownership and find I own a dog.

Neither I or the dog should be surprised.

>> Asset Allocation is indeed simple, the problem is that no two people
>> agree on how to do it :)
>>
>> Further, most AA models are USA biased, I don't think gnc needs any more
>> USA bias and any model that includes a stock allocation along the lines
>> of "domestic / foreign" is rubbish if you live outside of the USA so
>> let's not go there! [1]
>
> OK. This is an interesting distinction. Are we talking about AA as a concept or a concrete AA implementation (values)?

I think reality is preferable, I have actual money and presume you do too.

>This is kinda class/instance relationship. I'm strictly interested in providing a tool that allows working with AA as a concept, and leave the actual implementation to the user.

hmmmn.  why?

> They can work out their allocations in any way they prefer but the tool should be accessible and use the portfolio data from a GC book.
> Just like a text editor, it does not tell you how to write but lets you write some text, save it, view/edit it later, and share it with someone else.

If you aren't really interested in doing stuff how about you fuck off
and stop bothering people ?  Has it occurred to you that AA is a real
thing for real people ?

>> for a sanity check, I am certain the good people that maintain the code
>> that allows us to get prices do *not* try to maintain a complete db of
>> prices themselves.  there is, quite simply, too much information.
>
> Nobody mentioned a complete db of prices but separating Price information from the rest of the book.

gnc does that anyway.

>Prices are expendable and, as you say, can be retrieved independently. As they are independent of a book, they can be shared across multiple books and/or applications. Which is where I'm coming from. And price information is pretty much the same for any application. It has basic properties of Date(/Time), Symbol, and Value.

that isn't a discovery.

>> you haven't been looking, there are hundreds of AA implementations,
>> maybe you mean you haven't found many that agree with your
>> preconceptions ? AA is often about preconceptions.
>
> Good advice. I see a few implementations, thanks to Python being so accessible. However, it seems that most of them are dealing with calculating an optimal allocation rather than letting the user manage it, the way ledger-cli (or MMEX 4 Android) does.

nope, I think you misunderstand AA models entirely

>> Heh, you just outed yourself as a bad trader :)  A "good" trader doesn't
>> care about capital gains :)
>
> I don't really. But I have to report on it to the tax authorities every year. ;)
>
> On a side note, I'm pretty amazed how few people are interested in AA considering that they are the masters of their own fortune in countries with private pension funds. In countries like Australia, each person is responsible for choosing their superannuation fund, including the asset allocation.

Alen, I think someone is going to say "get a room, you two" fairly soon
as we are definitely drifting off topic.  I think I still have a MMEX
forum account from a while ago so maybe we can meet there.  They won't
have a clue what we are talking about but do you care?

--
Wm