Planned MAJOR OUTAGE: Thursday 08th of February, 17:00 - 19:00 UTC

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 15 10:07:25 EST 2018

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

[snip]
> We may want to pre-process the db dump to have sequential
> numbers. It’s something to think about.

I don't think we would want to renumber our existing bugs.  I think it's
useful to keep the current numbers, as we already reference e.g. Bug
#xxx in the code, in commit messages, PRs, etc.  Yes, the URL will
change from bugzilla.gnome.org to bugzilla.gnucash.org, but the rest of
the URL (and most importantly #) can remain.

> We also need to think about what BZ we’re going to use. Gnome forked
> BZ somewhere around version 3 and have made some modifications to suit
> their needs. We can take that fork and tweak it for our use (just an
> e.g. it wouldn’t make a lot of sense for us to have “Not Gnome” as a
> reason for resolving a bug) or we can get the current Mozilla BZ and
> use that, recognizing that we’ll probably need to tweak the db dump
> from Gnome to get it to load.

I thought all those entries were DB settings, not necessarily code
changes.  But I've never set up BZ (or any other tracker, short of Trac,
but that won't scale to our needs IMHO).  It would be a learning
experience.

> So a modification to my lead: We need two dumps, a preliminary one to
> test with while we get our BZ set up and then a final one that turns
> off the Gnome instance.

Agreed -- one dump to play with the conversion.  And then a final dump
to actually swap over.  The hardest part will be getting the gnome BZ
people to drop us a dump at all.

> We might want to look at what else is available before settling on
> BZ. In addition to you getting your new house done, Geert, Frank, and
> I need to focus on getting GC3 out the door, so let’s defer further
> discussion of this until later this spring. There are no signs on the
> Gnome lists that BZ is going to be shut down any time soon, so there’s
> no real rush.

I agree, GC3 is top priority as a team.  On the other hand, *I*
personally have very little hands-on involvement in that process, so I
*could* be working on the bug tracker simultaneously to you all working
o GC3.  Of course I wouldn't want to do the final switchover until I've
moved, but some of the initial legwork can happen sooner.

The only "rush" is time availability to plan to BZ move (either to our
own BZ instance, or to something else) -- and making sure we have the
time to do it before GNOME shuts it down sometime in the next 12-18
months, or whenever they do.  I don't want to get a "we're shutting down
in 30 days" email and not have a solid, tested plan in place.