Preference question, issue or not?

Robert Fewell 14ubobit at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 05:54:41 EST 2018

Hi,

While I was working out why setting 'don't use gnucash color themes' was
being reset after every restart of Gnucash, I added a print statement to
gnc_prefs_get_bool which resulted in loads of output related to the
preference 'show-leaf-account-names'. Used the glib backtrace function to
work out what is calling this preference with the following results from
starting Gnucash for a short time and also moving a terminal window over a
register page...

376 calls to gnc_table_get_entry
248 calls to gnc_account_foreach_descendent

502 calls to gnc_get_account_name_for_register
502 calls to gnc_prefs_get_bool for show-leaf-account-names

My question is whether the register should hold the value and not keep
asking the preference system for it which I assume to mean gsettings
calling what ever back end is being used. It could be cached in some way or
with the fast PC's nowadays it is of no issue. Just asking before I spend
any more time on this.

Regards,

  Bob