Scope of GNUCash

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 10:17:29 EST 2018

On 14/02/2018 18:07, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

>> On Feb 13, 2018, at 8:49 PM, Wm via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 13/02/2018 15:30, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>>> Michael,
>>> I agree completely on the separation point, especially with regard to controls.
>>
>> If you agree on that you are an idiot,
>
> I’m not sure why your tone is the way it is. I noticed it changed yesterday and I was quite surprised. I’ve seen several threads where you are replying in a very negative and rude tone. Direct personal attacks and cursing (from another thread on the dev list) are not appropriate.

I reply as I feel fit

>> Mike's POV is (if I understand correctly over a period of time) mainly a charitable one.
>
> Accounting controls are not just for non-profits, far from it. It’s a basic subject taught in accounting classes. If you found an accounting textbook that didn’t cover the subject, I’d say that book was incomplete.
>
> There’s even an entire specialty of ‘forensic accounting’ and they don’t just work with non-profits.

I have been employed as one of them more than once.

AT THIS POINT I POINT OUT

you are out of your depth.

You're addressing me in terms of words rather than facts.  Grow up or
get a hash tag <-- and the associated despicable "I am a man and I need
to defend crap"

>>> I’ve seen first hand when sales clerks have the ability to void and edit their own transactions from a point of sales system. I can’t imagine the damage that WOULD be done if they also had the ability to access the inventory system AND the general accounting software. (even just the ability to partially close a ticket is dangerous)
>>
>> Why are you blaming the workers rather than the employers?
>
> Blame belongs on those who steal. I’ve experienced both employees and employers stealing. I’ve experienced restaurant servers manipulating the point of sale system to steal. I’ve experienced managers doing the same. In both cases, the control-checks that were in place caught them, but didn’t prevent them. So the access to functions was changed as a preventative measure and the control-checks were updated.
>
> A manager with access to hide evidence of, or alter transactions in the general ledger? That’s begging for trouble. I once caught a manager who stole cash. I was only able to catch him because of the control-check we had in place. Had he access to that control-check and been able to alter its record of our petty-cash flow, we’d have never been able to pin point who was responsible. Had we not been using the control properly (as I discovered in another unit) we’d have never even realized the cash was missing.

That is interesting but completely out of the "Scope" of what gnc is
likely to do.

>> Why do you think a piece of software can help if you are shitting on your employees.
>>
>> Mike, is this what you expected as a response?  Adrien appears to be a person that trusts no-one.
>>
>> Welcome to the tacky politics of Trumpian merka :(
>>

>>> As for interoperability, the devil is always in the details but I see three main hangups. First, any software should be able to import it’s own exports.
>>
>> Yes, import and export should work but doesn't.  I'm not fussed because I know how to make it happen anyway.  I'm just not allowed to tell you how because a senior gets upset if I say.
>
> I doubt seriously John, Geert, David or anyone else will be mad if you explain to users how to properly manage an export and re-import. (not that it matters much now, since this is to be possible with 3.0 anyway)

Indeed, they are waiting for this discussion to go away.

The answer is to write back using anything you like and check
afterwards, btw.  Just don't tell anyone.  The closer the db gets to
normality the more things like that work.

>>> Second, any software with imports should be able to allow the user an easy way to map fields and save that mapping for future use.
>>
>> Not important, that is usually a one-off and gnc does that anyway.
>
> Somewhat. And I hope this will be improved with 3.0. And it isn’t a one-off if you have to repeatedly import data. You’d want to set the import mapping one time as long as it hasn’t changed. You wouldn’t want to have to re-map each time you import.

Only until you get it right, then you don't care.  I have done hundreds
of imports, that is the nature of the beast.

>>> Third, importing and exporting should be possible to schedule or trigger without manual user intervention. (so apps can talk to each other reliably without lag)
>>
>> Wrong!  I specifically do *not* want importing and exporting to happen without me saying so.
>
> Maybe you don’t, and certainly you should always have such control. But others might want to automate some areas of data exchange. Gnucash never has to implement this, but there is a valid use case for it.

I've never noticed one.  New thread, I think.