Beyond 2.8 - some design thoughts

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 18:23:57 EST 2018

Am 03.01.2018 um 17:41 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> I see no reason that we can't jump from 2.7.x to 3.0[.0] when we release.
> And since we DID upgrade to GTK3, I think we should do that.

+1

> As for whether to drop the third entry is less important to me, but I
> still think it makes sense to have 3.0.0, 3.0.1, etc., for bugfixes and
> leave 3.1/3.2 for more major changes.

+1

Maintainers might have a policy to update bugfixes in their current
release, mayor changes in the next release and for fundamental changes
both versions.

The 3 levels also should give admins and users a clue how much time is
needed for
 dependency changes and
 understanding new concepts.

> I'm fine with dropping the even/odd and just jumping t0 3.0.80 (or 90)
> for testing pre-releases.

The rule is simple: Do not install the odd version on productive systems!

~Frank