Capital Gains FAQ entry

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 12:35:45 EST 2018

Cicko,

I see that you have gotten involved in working on the wiki; fabulous!

I recently received a notice that you had edited the FAQ on handling capital gains, by adding a reference to the wiki page “Concept of Lots”.

Naturally, having received the announcement of the page change, I took a look at both the FAQ section and the Concept of Lots page, and found a number of problems.

First, the FAQ itself is quite dated, mentioning the status of gains as of version 1.8. Since the Tutorial & Concept Guide represents the most complete and up-to-date version of the documentation, I have added these references and removed the original paragraph.

Next, it goes into quite a bit of detail on how to enter gains—topics that are now covered in quite some detail in the Tutorial & Concepts Guide. SInce "9.7. Selling Shares” is so thorough, the examples given in the FAQ are both incomplete and redundant. Consequently, I am removing the example in the FAQ, and pointing to the Tutorial a second time, since it has so many detailed examples.

Finally, I wonder whether it is wise to link to the “Concept of Lots” page, as it appears to be a description of how the implementer of the Lots feature went about it. Some of this information does appear to be unique, however, so I didn’t touch your reference to it. Long term, I think the information on this page should be separated so that the technical, development, information was placed on a technical page, and the user-focused information placed in the documentation set.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know why I went into this section and changed it just after you had.

David