[GNC-dev] Compiling Gnucash on MacOS - not for the faint of heart...

Rob Gowin robg at gowin.net
Mon Jul 2 20:38:31 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 7:22 PM, chris graves <mohavebaked at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2018, at 8:39 PM, Rob Gowin <robg at gowin.net> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018, 11:25 PM John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> > On Jul 1, 2018, at 7:39 PM, chris graves <mohavebaked at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Also, just curious, what IDE's gnucash developers use on MacOS.  It
>> appears that Xcode is not suitable.
>>
>> Last question first, bash and emacs. ISTR Mike Alexander uses vim and
>> emacs.
>>
>> Cmake *will* generate an Xcode project and I managed to get it to work
>> once, but for the most after ~35 years of emacs I just don’t find that
>> Xcode offers enough to make the time to switch.
>>

> The README_CMAKE.txt file (https://github.com/Gnucash/
> gnucash/blob/maint/cmake/README_CMAKE.txt) documents the details about
> how to use Xcode for GnuCash development (once all of the dependencies are
> built.)
>
> Rob
>
> Thanks for the comments Rob.  Yeah I figured to just take the path of
> least resistance.  Long time vi user, so guess we'll stick with that.
> Tried emacs once, but couldn't get my fingers to simultaneously press all
> the needed keys :-(

If you're going to stick with vi, why were you asking about IDEs? :-)

<!--./b2 toolset=darwin address-model=32 cxxflags="$CPPFLAGS"
cflags="$CPPFLAGS" linkflags="$LDFLAGS" dll-path=$PREFIX/lib
-\-prefix=$PREFIX -\-build-dir=$PREFIX/../build/boost_1_56_0 install

> After which one must run
> for i in `ls $PREFIX/lib/libboost*.dylib`; do install_name_tool -id $i $i; done
> for i in `ls $PREFIX/lib/libboost*.dylib`; do for j in `ls $PREFIX/lib/libboost*.dylib`; do install_name_tool -change `basename $i` $i $j; done; done
> -->
>   <autotools id="boost" supports-non-srcdir-builds="no" skip-install="True">
>     <branch module="boost/boost_1_56_0.tar.bz2" repo="sourceforge"
> 	    version="1.56.0"/>
>     <after>
>       <dep package="icu"/>
>       <dep package="icu55"/>
>     </after>
>   </autotools>
>

> I guessing one needs to run bootstrap.sh which may generate b2, but if so,
> not sure which args to provide bootstrap.sh

No arguments needed,  as per  https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz

-- Rob