[GNC-dev] New balsheet (and P&L report), API considerations, and (slow?) KVP in Account.cpp

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 20:57:50 EDT 2018

Hi Stephen, Dave &al

Thank you -

Dave - the changes are merely cosmetic therefore easy.

It sounds there are still 2 desired presentational types - (1) Dave's
approach = *recursive-bal* - 'parent' accounts generally collect their
children account amounts; if they also have their own amount, the latter is
rendered on the next line, indented as a child account. (2) Stephen's
approach = *multilevel-bal* - parent accounts' amounts are hidden unless
they exist.

With *multilevel *balances we expect multiple sublevels; so the following
becomes feasible:
Expenses:Household:Child1           (parent-acc without amount)
Expenses:Household:Child1:Sports = $30
Expenses:Household:Child1:Clothing = $40
TOTAL Expenses:Household:Child1 = $70

Expenses:Household:Child2 = $20 (parent-acc with amounts)
Expenses:Household:Child2:Sports = $20
Expenses:Household:Child2:Clothing = $20
TOTAL Expenses:Household:Child2 = $60
TOTAL Expenses:Household = $xxx
TOTAL Expenses = $yyy
^ notice there will be as many TOTAL lines as there are levels from root.

I'll try to restore the multilevel subtotals - I had received no feedback
and it is rather difficult to debug; as I mentioned to Stephen I'd removed
it, but I expect it can be done.

The existing code is a mess and I want them gone, but will need to know the
amounts are correct.