[GNC-dev] Import PDF to GnuCash

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 28 02:07:41 EDT 2018

On 7/27/2018 11:22 PM, David Cousens wrote:
> deltatango,
>
> How does Quickbooks use the imported information from a statement? The only
> normal use I can think of is reconciliation of the account. For importing
> information I by far prefer OFX with csv as a fallback for those
> institutions which don't provide OFX files (Paypal is  a standout here). For
> reconciliation, I usually prefer a printed copy so I can tick transactions
> off as I reconcile them in GnuCash. I have used spreadsheets as well to mark
> off reconciled transactions where the statement was available in csv.
>
> David
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html
> .

As near as I understand it, Quickbooks imports a specially formatted pdf
file of a statement for reconciliation.  I am sure there is a large
amount of money flowing between Quickbooks and Adobe for this right.
Adobe has gone to great lengths to make their files viewable and printer
printable only, unless you pay fees for features that used to be built
in, like export to M$document files (which I used to use extensively for
university extension publications).

Different banks, depending on their financial ability (homegrown vs
multi state vs national vs international) have different methods of
providing transaction detail.  My local bank only provided PDF, CSV, and
eventually Qif, until they got bought out. But; then Jack Henry and
Associates installed their so called "real time" accounting system which
is seriously foo-bared.  Now I have the option of OFX with the new
ownership.  The only advantage is GnuCash is optimized to OFX now.

If I go back more than 3 months, then everything is PDF only for 18
months (no check pictures, costs money), more than that and you pay
through the nose for hard copy records.  And before you rebuttal, I am
more than 3 months behind on some of the accounts I am supposed to be
tracking.  Getting kicked in the nuts by a bull tends to affect your
lifestyle.  Fair play I guess, he was supposed to be a steer.

You and I can argue about the benefits of OFX vs QIF on private email.
QIF better standard is than OFX.  Glove thrown, challenged are you.
Yoda, love must you. (:->).

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.