[GNC-dev] GnuCash 3 on Linux

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Jun 5 10:09:50 EDT 2018

Op dinsdag 5 juni 2018 14:53:44 CEST schreef Chris Good:
> Hi,
>

> I'm working on my BackupGnuCash stand-alone app.
>

> I have 2 questions today:
>

> 1.
>
> I'm a little uncertain about where the saved reports and metadata files are
> in GnuCash 3.0 for Linux.
>
> I suspect they are by default:
>
> ~/.local/share/gnucash/saved-reports-2.4
 2.8, not 2.4. If not 2.8 file is found, gnucash 3 and up will search for a
saved-reports-2.4, but it will only save to saved-reports-2.8.

> ~/.local/share/gnucash/books/[BOOK].gnucash.gcm

Yes. Do note it can be [BOOK].gnucash_<number>.gcm if you have several data
files named [BOOK]. And the gnucash part in that file name is only there if
the data file is called [BOOK].gnucash. Older versions of gnucash also allowed
to save to files without extension or with the .xac extension.
So it's really [BOOK-WITH-EXTENSION]<optional _NUMBER>.gcm

> unless overridden by XDG_DATA_HOME.

If you override XDG_DATA_HOME the files will be searched for and saved in
$XDG_DATA_HOME/gnucash/

However this can be overridden even with GNC_DATA_HOME. If that's set, gnucash
will search and save in
$GNC_DATA_HOME (which may or may not end in "/gnucash" unlike the
XDG_DATA_HOME to which gnucash will always append "/gnucash")

Regards,

Geert