trial balance - how to find mismatch question

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 18:27:17 EST 2018

Adrien, I think that you summarized the problem with "nearest in time"
nicely.  Wm, no doubt, had tongue in cheek when he was assigning a high
value to future prices.  You clarify that reports are often run "as of"
historical dates (and often need to match accounting reports submitted to
government agencies) thus could be exposed to erroneous values assigned
after the "as of" date by the "nearest in time" criterion.

Your final note that ideally the prices would always be downloaded on the
date they are needed for the report is true, but as a practical matter it
is sometimes difficult to do, as the prices are often posted on the
internet several hours after the respective closing bell, and now that the
F:Q module is sometimes unable to acquire some prices on the first pass, it
is sometimes problematic whether it has even succeeded in getting all the
needed prices.  If it is done by a chron job, the job would need very
intelligent error handling capability to be confident about success.

If a developer wanted to expand the scope of the price download module to
allow downloading "as of" prices for arbitrary historical dates, I think
many of us would buy him a beer.  Alas, right now I fear that the currently
active developers have too many other things on their plates.

David C