[GNC-dev] Debug build in production?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri May 4 16:37:22 EDT 2018

Op vrijdag 4 mei 2018 21:18:09 CEST schreef Eric Siegerman:
> Is there any particular reason to avoid using a
> CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug build of GnuCash in production?
>
> The reason *to* do that, of course, is to have the debugging
> symbols available in case of need.
>
> (This is independent of the choice of which git commit to build
> *from*; those pros-and-cons I'm well familiar with...)
>
> This is on Linux, in case that's relevant.

A debug build will tell the compiler to avoid several optimizations.

So a debug build will have a performance penalty. How bad it is depends on the
code and the performance of your hardware.

Additionally a debug build will produce larger binaries and consume more
memory. Again whether that's problem depends mostly on your hardware.

Regards,

Geert