[GNC-dev] AppImage

cicko alen.siljak at gmx.com
Thu May 10 17:42:19 EDT 2018

I just learned a bit more about application packages (AppImage, Snap,
Flatpak) on Linux after downloading KeePassXC image and find them quite
convenient.
Nabble does not find anything if I search for AppImage so I'd like to see
you opinion about using one of these for distributing Linux version of
GnuCash. I've only used AppImage so far and it works fine. Apparently it
would work on any distribution because all the libraries are packaged with
the executable.
If this was applied to GnuCash, would the distribution size be much larger?
Has anyone tried?
Even though I'm on Tumbleweed, a rolling OpenSuse distribution with the
apparently latest software, GnuCash 3.1 is still not available as a
compatible rpm. Somehow, the distribution of software for Windows still has
the upper hand in terms of being easy and simple. At least for the end
users.
Having an AppImage of the latest GnuCash would, I guess, enable all Linux
users to have the latest binary version without needing to build it
themselves and/or depending on multitude of development tools and libraries.

Is there anything preventing building and packaging the latest (either
stable or nightly) version of GnuCash in this way? Have you thought about it
before? Have you tried it already? What were the findings?

Cheers

--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html