[GNC-dev] pricedb policy

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun May 13 11:37:58 EDT 2018

On the contrary, there is such a thing.

Certainly, in near real-time, as you describe, no there isn’t.

But when booking an existing asset at current market prices when starting a book, there is. There might be various reasons for this approach, not the least of which is that the original actual price paid in the home currency is no longer available. (and not relevant to any balancing with other accounts - this will balance with Equity:Opening Balances)

And I was able to edit the ‘first’ user:price. So if it is supposed to be read-only, it’s not. (or at least wasn’t in 2.6.19)

Regards,
Adrien

> [...]
>
> My view is that "user:price"-type pricedb entries are usually directly generated from transactional transfers, therefore can be considered a lookup-table for existing transfers, and should not be user-editable.
>

> On 13/05/18 22:20, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> Christopher,
>>
>> I’ll add a complication for you.
>>
>> Suppose one enters a transaction and later realizes the price source was not correct.
>>
>> Does editing the originally generated user:price affect the transactions in the register? Are they in-sync or now unrelated?
>>
>> If editing user:price does not change the register, does that mean you have to edit the register entries (or use correcting entries) and if so, does this alter the original user:price? (or add another?)
>>
>> If the two get out of sync, how do you determine what is the true source to use to regenerate upon loading and Check&Repair?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>>> On May 13, 2018, at 5:34 AM, Christopher Lam <christopher.lck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Devs
>>>
>>> I wish to enquire about policy on pricedb.
>>>
>>> As far as I can understand, pricedb receives entries from 3 different
>>> sources:
>>>
>>> 1. from entering transactions into the register, if the transaction
>>> involves a foreign currency conversion or stock. e.g. originating account
>>> is GBP, target currency is USD --> creates a pricedb entry GBP/USD. (can't
>>> determine which one is deemed to be the base currency). These pricedb
>>> entries are tagged "user:price" or "user:xfer-dialog".
>>>
>>> 2. from online sources eg alphavantage. This requires careful setup, and
>>> seems to create price entries for all foreign currencies / commodities,
>>> compared to the book currency (in my case AUD). These are tagged
>>> "Finance::Quote".
>>>
>>> 3. entries added by the user. These are tagged "user:price-editor".
>>>
>>> From my review of code so far, pricedb entries are rather important in
>>> reports... an incorrect pricedb entry will lead to incorrect foreign
>>> currency reporting, even if the transaction contains the exact transfer
>>> amount.
>>>
>>> My concerns relate to (1) above. I believe these transactional prices are
>>> always more accurate than online quotes, because they describe the exact
>>> prices achieved.
>>>
>>> But it's buggy, e.g. if there are 2 transactions involving GBP/USD on the
>>> same day, the second entered price will overwrite the first. (<- according
>>> to my last test)
>>>
>>> I'd think it would be important for accuracy that, upon book opening, and
>>> Check&Repair, the user:price data should be *overwritten* by the actual
>>> prices obtained from the transactions. Moreover if there are several
>>> transactions involving commodities, Check&Repair should **add** relevant

>>> 01/01/2018 Transfer 100 GBP to 150 USD (generates pricing 1.5 USD/GBP)