[GNC-dev] gnc_numeric division with how=GNC_HOW_DENOM_LCD

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat May 19 13:14:25 EDT 2018

Op zaterdag 19 mei 2018 17:49:10 CEST schreef John Ralls:
> > On May 19, 2018, at 2:28 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Christopher Lam is busy writing unit tests for our business reports which
> > is great.
> >
> > However he has run into  a peculiar issue in that he can't create a test
> > invoice entries that properly handle tax or percentages.
> >
> > I have been tracing in the debugger and I ran into a peculiar bug for
> > which I need some feedback.
> >
> > The core of the issue is in this line:
> > https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/libgnucash/engine/
> > gncEntry.c#L1139
> >
> > This division is to convert a number as entered by the user into a
> > percentage value.
> > The user enters "10", which the code should interpret as 10%, or 0.01
> >
> > This works fine with numbers entered by real users in the user interface,
> > however it fails when generating these same numbers via scheme code.
> >
> > And this is because both get a different denominator: all user entered
> > numbers (in this context) will be stored with a denom of 100000. However
> > when you make a scheme rational 1000000/100000 (so equivalent to 10), it
> > gets reduced to 10/1 by the time it's used in the line above. Clearly
> > guile automatically reduces rationals.
> >
> > The net effect is that for user entered numbers the line above will divide
> > 1000000/100000 by 100/1 while for scheme generated numbers the division
> > becomes 10/1 by 100/1.
> >
> > Combining this with how=GNC_HOW_DENOM_LCD makes that the denominator will
> > be fixed to 1 causing 0.1/1 to be rounded to 0.
> >
> > That's the symptom. But I do have some difficulty determining the actual
> > cause: is gnc_numeric_div doing the wrong thing with GNC_HOW_DENOM_LCD ?
> > That would make it a bug in gnc_numeric_div. In a division I would expect
> > the nominator of the divisor to be taken into account to calculate the
> > LCD but perhaps my (accounting related) math is wrong.
> > Or perhaps GNC_HOW_DENOM_LCD just doesn't make sense for a division and
> > another rounding method should be used here? That would make it a bug in
> > the gncEntryComputeValueInt function.
> > Or both are right and I should just ensure to have a proper common
> > denominator somehow. I could maybe set percent in the calculation above
> > to 10000000/100000 instead of to 100/1.
> > Or I could avoid gnc_numeric_div altogether by multiplying with 1/100
> > instead.
> >
> > However I wanted some feedback before applying one of the workarounds to
> > be
> > sure I'm not masking a a more important bug that way.
>
> For reference, the line in question is
>
> tpercent = gnc_numeric_div (tpercent, percent, GNC_DENOM_AUTO,
>                                             GNC_HOW_DENOM_LCD);
>
> Note in particular the warning at
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/libgnucash/engine/gnc-numeric
> .h#L80
> <https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/libgnucash/engine/gnc-numeri
> [...]

LCD yes, but reading the LDC code in more detail we're actually using LCM
(least common multiplier) which in this case would be 100.

It doesn't matter though. I think GNC_HOW_DENOM_REDUCE | GNC_HOW_ROUND_NEVER
will be find in this case. We're talking about tax percentages and discounts.
If those overflow it must have been a very unusual number.

Thanks for your feedback.

Geert