[GNC-dev] Register text selection

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 13:44:57 EDT 2018

> On May 21, 2018, at 6:14 PM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op maandag 21 mei 2018 13:08:05 CEST schreef Robert Fewell:
>> I have been looking at getting the middle mouse button to work for pasting
>> selected text and whilst trying to do that started to wonder about the
>> existing preselected text.
>>
>> Currently...
>> If you open a register, the blank transaction date text is preselected.
>> If you start Gnucash with saved open registers, the last register in the
>> list to load has the blank date text preselected, this may not be the
>> current open register.

I would like to point out that I find *this* aspect of the register behavior highly confusing. The “Select a field in a register that is not the current one” problem crops up at other times. I am not certain, but I think it happens when a modal dialog is closed. It is extremely frustrating to be working in a register that is not the bottom-most and then discover that your typing is going into a register that is NOT the one you are currently working in! Moreover, you may not even be aware that you are changing a transaction that is out of sight—and if you choose to leave GnuCash at this juncture, you will get a mysterious dialog asking if you want to save your changes (huh? what changes? I guess I better!). And THEN, you have no idea the next time what happened in that OTHER register.

I am grateful that someone else has seen this behavior and commented on it. I’d like to see it changed.

David T.