[GNC-dev] GDPR and terrorism

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:42:29 EDT 2018

Am 22.05.2018 um 19:21 schrieb Geert Janssens:
>> IRC includes IP addresses, which the GDPR explicitly mentions as personal
>> information, in “joined” messages, and those get logged. ISTM those
>> messages aren’t important as they’re not part of the conversation and we
>> could easily stop logging them delete them from the existing logs.
>>
> Yes, I think we should do that.

It depends: most private used IPv4 are dynamic IPs - changing at least
daily. They are useless without the dial in protocol of the provider.
That is the reason, anti terror laws try to force them to store them.
Then again courts declare the anti terror law unconstitutional.

I don't know the current practice of providers with IPv6.

Question: How will you behave, if you see, last night XXX announced an
terror attack on our channel?

~Frank