[GNC-dev] GDPR and gnucash as a project

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 23 17:00:03 EDT 2018

On 22/05/2018 15:36, David T. via gnucash-devel wrote:
> Geert,
>
> I am not fluent with the issues of the GDPR,

relatively few people are
but they have been thought about
they are not harmful to you or I

I am not accepting the offered changes in T+C unless it is a bank or
business I know, then I look at them and usually agree, I mean, I gave
them my business to start with and checked at the beginning.

A BBC News report say around 5% of people are agreeing to the new terms
for smaller companies.  This is backwards, the smaller companies are the
ones that need the contacts.  The big ones haven't said what they are
going to do if people don't agree.

That is why the European Court is a good thing, USA people, it cares
about you too.

 > but I have had a lifetime of considering intellectual property issues
(as a librarian).

Librarians are some of my favourite people

Personal contributions of ideas, thoughts, or intellectual content are
IMHO NOT personal data, even when signed by an individual’s name*. Those
would fall under intellectual property/copyright rules rather than
personal data. It is my understanding also that use of GPL addresses the
question of IP rights in code and documentation; if a user contributes
to the GC project in these areas, they do so with this release understood.

I don't think that is in doubt, it would be odd for someone to withdraw
a positive contribution.

More realistic is (I will use myself) I said a bad thing, possibly rude
(I do that for free) but it was not only wrong (I don't mind being
wrong) but I also said someone else was wrong ...

... keep going ...

... and someone noticed and complained to someone that the fucking idiot
Donald Trump doesn't believe can sign an agreement <-- yes it is
necessary to point out that the people of the USA voted an incompetent
as their leader and he is stopping them getting their rights.  Why would
anyone vote for him other than a being a racist or a bedroom russian?
<-- hello do you know there are girls out there american incel voters?

It is also my understanding that unless someone explicitly states
otherwise, their posting of information in a public place (such as a
website, wiki, mailing list, etc.) would constitute permission to
release that information generally.

yes

> David T.
>
> * - I would be extremely surprised to find that a user’s name, in and of itself, would constitute protected personal information.

it isn't